The Get on Board campaign, the first-of-its-kind industry-wide collaboration between RBFF’s Take Me Fishing and NMMA and MRAA’s Discover Boating continued to make waves this summer. Supported by an integrated marketing mix featuring public service announcements, digital advertising, social media and public relations, the 2021 campaign made an impact in reaching new boaters and anglers by generating 3.4 billion total impressions – a 42% year-over-year (YOY) increase – and 20 million YouTube views – double the amount of views since last year’s campaign.
“Over the last few years, RBFF, NMMA and MRAA have been priming the pump, reaching out to diverse new audiences to increase awareness of fishing and boating and inspire participation,” said Stephanie Vatalaro, Senior Vice President of Marketing and Communications for RBFF. “This year’s Get On Board campaign featured some of our most successful multicultural outreach to-date.”
Americans from all walks of life gained a better appreciation of spending time outdoors as a result of pandemic-related social distancing, and many chose fishing and boating as their lifeline to wellness. The Get On Board campaign tapped into this lifestyle trend and continued building momentum from 2020, which deeply resonated with a broader, more engaged consumer audience.
“With record sales and participation in boating and fishing, we’re seeing younger, more diverse audiences enter the market, which has given us the unique opportunity to engage the next generation of boaters and anglers to continue increasing participation for the long-term,” said Ellen Bradley, Senior Vice President of Marketing and Communications for NMMA. “In collaboration with RBFF and MRAA, we not only focused on recruiting future participants but also retaining the recent surge of newcomers.”
Highlights of the campaign’s success include:
- Earned Media: 2.6 billion impressions (121% YOY increase)
- From CNN, USA Today and CNBC to Camping World magazine, Adweek and Yahoo! News, hundreds of consumer and trade outlets featured elements of the Get On Board campaign and key messages spreading awareness of the benefits and popularity of boating and fishing.
- Paid Media: 36 million impressions
- Through a partnership with Complex and actor/influencer King Keraun, promotions on Buzzfeed, and a “Stories of Anglers” series in collaboration with Hearst, unexpected stories were showcased about people from all walks of life enjoying the benefits of fishing and boating, setting the tone of the campaign.
- Influencer Program: 13 million impressions and nearly 5 million interactions
- Partnered with a fleet of more than 55 social media influencers to reach new, younger and more diverse audiences with the message that #TheWaterIsOpen to everyone and showcasing the fun and wellness aspects of boating and fishing. Influencer partners included: The Mom Trotter, Jason Tartick, Us The Duo, She Explores, Girl of 10,000 Lakes, She Colors Nature and more.
- Social Media: 22 million impressions
- Generated 22 million organic post impressions across Take Me Fishing, Discover Boating, RBFF and NMMA’s social media channels, with calls to action to get a fishing license, register a boat, find ways and places to fish and go boating and learn to fish and boat.
- Digital Properties: 48 million sessions
- Compared to the previous year, visits to Take Me Fishing’s and Discover Boating’s digital assets increased by 47%.
- Get On Board Toolkit: 11,000 page views
- Offered free, customizable fishing and boating marketing materials through its online toolkit to support the industry in reaching out to a younger, multicultural audience, to help grow fishing and boating.
“We are proud of how the industry acted together in a united effort once again this summer with the purpose of growing boating and fishing participation,” said Matt Gruhn, President of MRAA. “We’re thrilled about how well the dealer community engaged with the marketing tools and resources made available by the Get On Board toolkit, which helped us connect even more new boaters and anglers with the rewards of being on the water.”
Questions on the Get On Board campaign may be directed to Bruna Carincotte, RBFF’s Director of Public Relations and Communications, at email@example.com and Maggie Maskery, NMMA’s Director of Consumer Public Relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org.