Hans Stephenson has worked at Dakota Angler & Outfitter in Black Hills, South Dakota since he was in high school. In 2006, he bought the business and set out to modernize it by focusing on increasing online sales. Dakota Angler & Outfitter has since experienced a 500% increase in monthly online sales, which has helped increase foot traffic to the physical store and grown the business from being seasonal to busy all year round.
Sport fishing is a big industry, but it’s driven by thousands of small businesses. According to the American Sportfishing Association (ASA), sport fishing generated $48 billion in retail sales and contributed $115 billion to the national economy last year. An increasing number of America’s fishermen and fisherwomen are looking online to get the bait, tackle, and gear they need to enjoy each season of fishing. When it comes to getting found by customers, your online presence matters. Google helps millions of businesses grow, and here are five helpful tips to help your presence online.
1. Get found on Google and post your news. Nearly one third of all mobile searches are related to location, and that trend is only increasing (source), so it’s critical to have your business appear in results for local searches. This is managed through the Google My Business product. Posting through Google My Business now lets you publish your events, products, and services directly to your listing on Google Search and Maps. By creating posts, you can place your timely content in front of customers when they find your business listing on Google.
2. Encourage your customers to leave reviews. Online reviews are today’s word of mouth. You can turn your best customers into advocates with free marketing materials from our Small Thanks Hub where you can print and share your favorite reviews as custom posters and social images.
3. Learn how your website is performing. Google Analytics helps you see what’s working and fix what’s not on your website. Understanding your website visitors helps you better evaluate the performance of your content, products, and more. Google also has a free Analytics Academy that helps you learn about Google’s measurement tools so that you can grow your business through intelligent data collection and analysis. You can find the Google Analytics Academy by doing a Google search for ‘google analytics academy.’
4. Use video ads to tell your story and reach customers on YouTube. Video ads are an authentic and engaging way to reach your customers and show them what makes your business unique through the power of video. To help every business leverage YouTube’s power and reach, we created YouTube Director onsite to shorten the time and cost it takes for businesses to advertise on YouTube. When a business commits to spending at least $350 advertising on YouTube, we connect the business owner with an expert to film and edit a 30-second professional YouTube video. This video service—which typically runs anywhere from about $1,000 to $5,000—is free. Businesses only pay to promote their video ad on YouTube.
5. Learn more by attending a Get Your Business Online Workshop. If you want hands-on help and learning opportunities, we have partnered with thousands of organizations across the country who offer free help and workshops through our Get Your Business Online program. You can find resources and a workshop near you at gybo.com.