Targeting the largest and most powerful fish in the sea, especially with spinning gear, has become one of the hottest new angling trends in recent years. No longer only the land of pool-cue rods and oversized conventional reels, anglers are now pushing the limits of spinning gear to new heights, way beyond where anyone imagined it could go just a few years ago. But it takes powerful, purpose-built gear to handle the relentless strain and corrosive environments where the gnarliest of fish call home.
With names like Makaira, Alijos, Cavalla, and Tesoro leading the way, Okuma has firmly established itself as a key brand in big game fishing. Building on this solid reputation and angler preference, Okuma released the new Tesoro Spinning Reels to complement your customer’s arsenal in this expanding big game spinning reel market.
The Tesoro Spinning reel series is designed and purpose built for big game fishing, constructed with Okuma’s Alumilite body, side plate, and Cyclonic Flow Rotor construction for the ultimate in strength and power. With an IPX-7 full-body waterproof design (body, side plate, rotor and spool including the drag system), meaning it can be fully submerged in water without handle rotation at a depth of up to 1 meter/40 inches for up to 30 minutes, and it will remain bone dry and provide peak performance in even the harshest of conditions. There’s no worry of your customers experiencing reel failure when backing down on large pelagics or when a wave crashes over the gunnel as these reels remain impervious to such conditions.
Bruiser bluefin tuna? No problem!
High-flying silver kings? Bring them on!
Gear-destroying giant trevally? No sweat!
Amberjack? Striped bass? Marlin? Golden dorado? Tautog?
The list goes on and an on, and there is simply no fish too large, too powerful or too determined to outmatch the Okuma Tesoro thanks to the oversized brass main gear and C-6191 brass pinion gear that is double supported with ball bearings. The carbonite high output DFD drag system is packed up with Cal’s drag grease and puts out up to 55 pounds of pure fish-stopping power. The reel is built with a custom titanium spool shaft that reduces flex and weight. This provides exceptional strength for use with braided line and ensures proper spool alignment even under the heaviest of drag loads. Further, titanium will not corrode making it even more impervious to the ill effects of continued use in a saltwater environment.
Now with five total models within the Tesoro Spinning reel lineup (6000, 8000, 10000, 14000, 18000 and 20000), there is a reel for your customers whether they plan to fish close to home or travel to distant locations in search of exotic apex predators. The three smaller sizes feature high-speed gearing at 5.8:1 with retrieval of 49 inches of line per turn of the handle, while the two larger sizes feature 4.4:1 gear ratio and pick up close to 42 inches of line per handle turn.
Pair the Tesoro spinning reel up with any one of Okuma’s inshore, offshore or saltwater-specific rods and even your most discerning customers will be happy and more than up to the task of landing their next personal-best!
A new addition to the Tesoro Spinning reel line in 2023, the 6000 size is a great reel for southeast and northeast anglers who target big fish on light tackle. John Bretza – Director of Product Development for Okuma Fishing.
Keep your eye out for a Tesoro 4000 that will hit the market mid 2024 for diehard inshore anglers.
- Alumilite body, sideplate and Cyclonic Flow rotor
- IPX-7 full body waterproof design for ultimate protection
- 12HPB + 1RB corrosion resistant stainless-steel bearings
- Carbonite high output DFD drag with Cal’s drag grease
- Specialized titanium spool shaft reduced flex and weight
- Dual anti-reverse for maximum strength and reliability
- Oversized brass main gear and C-6191 brass pinion gear
- Even Flow Line Roller system with DLC coating
- Rigid machined aluminum screw in handle design
- Carbon fiber handle knob for comfort and weight reduction
- Pinion gear: double supported with ball bearings
- Frictionless main shaft design provides smooth operation
- Machined aluminum screw in handle for maximum strength
- Rotor brake system works in conjunction with manual bail trip
- CRC: Corrosion Resistant Corrosion Coating process
- Tesoro reels are backed by a 1-year limited warranty